Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Turning (gulp) 60

Here it comes. Just a few months away.

Mrs. BoomVista has been insisting that I choose an appropriate way to celebrate The Big 60, so I finally did. We take a quick getaway to a nearby resort with the daughter and son-in-law. Minimum travel, maximum relaxation.

Was just informed that it was vetoed. The four of us are going to Vegas, I was told. As soon as I make the plans for everyone.

That sort of thing aside, I've been trying to get my head around turning 60.

Never had a problem with any prior birthdays.

Thirty. Forty. No prob. Slid right through them. Fifty? Slight hesitation, interesting number, but not all that significant. Let's move on. What's next?

Well, 60. That's what's next. And this one is causing some pausing.

Not too hard to figure out why. Let's face it, when we were kids and our grandparents were 60, they were old. Really, truly old. Get-some-pocket-change-right-now-from-them-because-they-may-not-be-here-tomorrow old.

So 60 equaled old. No two ways about it.

Now, times have changed. With luck, we're healthier, wealthier and...younger...than they were at 60. And that's good.

But...stilll...60.

Hmmmmmm....

Thoughts? Click the comments button. (And...hurry)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The resort was vetoed? Bummer. Tell the fair Ms. Boomvista and your lovely daughter to reconsider. But Vegas ain't bad--we went there a couple of weeks ago and treated it as a giant theme park. Great fun, great hotels, great food, great people-watching. And don't miss the ultimate boomer show: Cirque du Soleil's "Love," with music by the Beatles. Spectacular. It's actually a fun place to spend a weekend if you don't take it to seriously and stay away from the tables.

But I'm still trying to figure out how the hell you're 60. That would mean I've known you half my life--and you've known me for 60 percent of mine! :>

Marty Merzer said...

Great. Now I have to do the math... :)

Anonymous said...

Marty. I happen to be just 2 years ahead of you, agewise. Technically, I am not a boomer. But, in speaking as an elder to you all, I can offer this. Turning 50 was more traumatic to me than turning 60. I found 60 to be 'liberating'. Now I am old enough that I feel I have earned the right to where a spotted shirt or something that doesn't 'match'. I really don't care what impressions I project and don't care about having a new car or bigger house or anything. I'm stuck in my ways and I'm not going to change. After all, I'm over 60. I've earned it. Boomers coming of 'age' might find this age bracket rather refreshing.

David Hobby said...

So, when's the actual date, Methuselah?

Marty Merzer said...

This information will be shared.

On a need-to-know basis.